The Super Bowl can be a stressful time, often dividing families and friends depending on which team you’re rooting for (Go Niners!) but the food doesn’t have to be! On today’s segment I featured a few quick tips and tricks on how to make your game day snackage more balanced:
For the Sweets:
- Make the Portion Size Smaller!
- These Cosmic Brownie Bites are smaller than normal brownies and allow you to satisfy your sweet tooth without overdoing sugar and calories
- Use Sugar Free or Less Added Sugar!
- In this recipe I used a Sugar Free boxed brownie mix for time’s sake but you can totally make your own! Boxed mixes and commercially baked items typically have TONS OF SUGAR (something we’ll be talking about more on balanced) so I usually use something like Swerve Sweetener or Stevia to sweeten my homemade baked goodies. These are naturally based sugar alternatives but if you’d rather use the real deal, just use less!
- Fruit Trays All Day!
- Fruit aka nature’s candy is a great way to satisfy your sweet cravings without having added sugars and having the benefit of getting some vitamins and fiber in the mix too! You can make your own fruit dip by simply mixing Greek Yogurt with a little bit of sweetener and vanilla extract.
Now for the Salty:
- Veggie Trays Save the Day!
- Veggies are a great snack and they have very low calories so you won’t make a dent in your intake (seriously a half a cup of broccoli is only like 40 calories). They give you that crunch and pair well with a dip…which leads me to…
- The Dip!
- Ranch makes EVERYTHING better but how can we take it to the next step? In today’s show, I made a tangy ranch dip using greek yogurt as the base and a ranch dressing packet as the seasoning. You can take it a step further by making your own seasoning mix (stay tuned for that episode of Balanced). In fact, I often use greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute because of it adds extra protein (not to mention the probiotics!).
- Bean Chips…Say What?
- I love chips as much as the next person. I tend to try to get more bang for my buck with my food which is why I love using plant based products such as the Beanfield’s Bean Tortilla chips that were featured on the show. They have a whopping 4 g of fiber and protein which can help you get fuller quicker!
If you try any of these tips, let me know what you think! The most important thing to remember is to have fun-may the best team win!-BW